Tuesday, August 25, 2009

One Week before "Software Freedom Day @ Alexandria University"



A whole month passed since we began the preparation of the "Software Freedom Day @ Alexandria University".Well it has actually taken lots of time and work to reach what we have done till now.First a call for volunteers was launched at the beginning of the current month.CVs were sent, interviews were passed, till 11 volunteers were chosen to collaborate with the 4 coordinators in organizing this awesome event.Working with 14 individuals with different backgrounds and experiences were extremely useful.We work ,learn, collaborate and share ideas.

Then, we had our kick off meeting.The team was divided into groups to cover the whole preparation of the event.Stands, demos, presentations, registration, organization coordination, study groups, public relations, logistics, publicity, contests, program, fund raising...Lots of tasks!!Well for me choosing between all these tasks was a little hard.I really like them all and I was enthusiast to work in all of them, but I have finally chosen stands, study groups, logistics and fund raising.After that, every one began to work.It was my first time to write a fund proposal and I didn't know how to do it, but after lots of searches ,reading tutorials and tips ,I finally wrote one.I had also to search for companies that may finance our event, so I started surfing the web till I finally found some that may be interested in our event.Making a budget for the whole event wasn't also easy.Although tasks were a little tough, I really enjoyed them and I learned a lot.

A call for speakers was then launched.Lots of CVs were submitted.Presentations are almost ready and I see they cover lots of topics concerning open source and free software.From those topics I can mention:
- Linux (Day to Day usage, Administration and Development)
- Open Source programming languages (C, Java, PHP, Ruby, Python)
- Closed Source replacements.
- Open Source Culture.
- The future of computing and the role of open source in the future.
- Computer Security.
which I see, are suitable for both who have a background about FOSS and who have not. We will host Mohamed Hussein Sayed, a technical at Yahoo!inc, consultant at SkyFire labs, Sr. Systems administrator at MobiTV, Sr software engineer at Symantec corp and idustry veteran with more than 10 years experience in Linux and Unix networking and development as well as RDBMS and large scale systems ,also Ahmed Desouki Ahmed el Mekkawy from eSpace technologies, solutions Team Leader for a team of Gnu/Linux administrators to setup/maintaining development environment and services on the local network and remote Administration for various development , testing ,production environments for world-wide clients.

Finally, there will be contests with gifts for winners to give some fun to the event and urge students to read and learn.So, if you are in Alexandria from 1/9 till 15/9 don't miss this event.I am sure you will benefit.
RSVP here
Register here
There will be special gifts for the first 50 persons who register.
Waiting for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment